A. You are welcome to send an email to Allegra, our Creative Director, with small images of your work. Or better yet, a link to your portfolio. At this time we only license artwork, so please no photography.
Please bear the following in mind:
Size matters. Puzzles are big! If your fabulous work of art was created at greeting-card size, it will not look so good at 26.625" x 19.25" (the size of our 1000 piece puzzles). You will need to be able to provide a print ready file that is 300 pixels per inch.
A great puzzle. Great paintings do not necessarily make great puzzles. For instance, I love the work of Edward Hopper, but I cannot think of one of his images that I would want to do as a puzzle. Below is a rough guideline of a successful puzzle - of course, there are exceptions to every rule!
- Busy composition.
- Colourful. Different areas in different colours is how most puzzlers sort their pieces.
- Focal point. Easily identified subject.
NOT SO GOOD
- There shouldn't be big boring areas. A vast expanse of water or sky or road should have something breaking up the monotony.
- Too monochromatic. Too dark.
- There is an optimal range for the size of the subject in relation to the total image. For instance on a dog puzzle, a head shot of a dog becomes a portrait of an individual animal and can lack universal appeal. Conversely, if the dog is a small silhouette in a forest, then it is a landscape scene without a main subject.
Do some research. There are many, many companies. And every one has a different range of images aimed at different kinds of retailers. Take a look at different catalogues to see if your work would make a good fit.
Please have patience. I am one person with a lot to do. And I receive many submissions daily.
Private label puzzles. If you are not looking for us to license your work, but to commission a private label printing, or you are an artist looking to have puzzles made that you will sell yourself: please contact www.puzzles-plus.com. We only do print runs over 3,000 copies. Puzzles-Plus does runs of 500.
Hope these thoughts help.
Good luck to all,
Click to email Allegra
Hide this content.